Did you know about the Many Health Benefits of Organic Black Pepper?
Organic black pepper is the most popular and commonly used spice in kitchens all over the world. A dash of pepper can liven up any dish. Black pepper is known as the king of spices thanks to its zingy flavor and heat turning a bland dish into a delicious one.
This highly prized spice originated in India and was a major part of the spice trade. It quickly made its way to all parts of the world and grows in most tropical climates. At one time, organic black pepper was worth its weight in gold and was used to pay ransoms and dowries.
Apart from taste, organic black pepper is also valued for its medicinal properties thanks to the many health benefits it yields.
Different Kinds of Peppercorns:
The black pepper seed is one that is familiar to everyone and found in all kitchens, but did you know that there are different kinds of peppercorns or organic black peppers? White, black, red, and green whole peppercorns come from the same plant. Because of varying stages of growth that the pepper is harvested and the different processes it undergoes, the color of the finished peppercorn changes.
Other peppercorns include pink peppercorns that are not actually peppers, but are from a different plant that is actually a berry. Szechwan (or Sichuan) peppercorns grow in China, Sansho peppercorns in Japan and Ossame and Melegueta varieties grow in West Africa. And then there are long peppers that cannot actually be called peppercorns, but are grown in Asia and have a similar flavor to whole black pepper, but are much hotter.
Ceylon black pepper is among the best peppers available thanks to its stronger flavor and bite. While India grows a lot of pepper, and currently Vietnam is the largest exporter of this spice, Ceylon black pepper is prized because of its distinctive taste.
What Makes Organic Black Pepper Healthy?
Organic black pepper contains many ingredients that have long being used in folk remedies. The main substance spice and heat is piperene. It also contains many micronutrients, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals including:-
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
These are apart from many flavoring compounds and essential oils that are found in organic black pepper. Some of these may be lacking or available in different quantities in colored and processed peppercorns. Organic black pepper is best used whole or freshly crushed in a pepper mill.
Health Benefits of Organic Black Pepper:
Because of the various compounds and substances that organic black pepper contains, it has many health properties and that is why it was so appreciated in the ancient world. Organic black pepper has many anti-microbial, anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and helps in health disorders.
The black pepper seed is helpful in:-
- Respiratory problems – thanks to its many anti-bacterial properties, freshly crushed organic black pepper or Ceylon black pepper, mixed with honey helps ease chest congestion and soothes the throat. When mixed with other whole spices, it can be made into a tea and drunk several times a day for relief in colds and coughs.
- Cancer – piperene in whole black pepper, along with other compounds, helps combat the effects of free radicals that damage the body and are a causative factor in cancer. When organic black pepper is combined with turmeric it has an enhanced effect of scavenging free radicals that damage the body. It may help fight breast, prostate and colon cancers.
- Digestion – eating organic black pepper stimulates the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach. This aids digestion and prevents constipation.
- Weight loss – organic black pepper assists in breaking down fat cells in the body and also increases metabolism, having a dual benefit in weight loss.
- Improved brain function – piperene in the whole black pepper helps reduce plaque formation in the brain and may have benefits in Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s patients. It also improves memory.
- Lowers cholesterol – the same substance also reduces bad cholesterol levels in the blood and may reduce heart disease risk.
- Balances blood sugar – having organic black pepper may reduce blood sugar spikes, improving blood sugar levels and reducing many of the hazards associated with poor sugar levels in diabetes.
It also adds aroma and taste to foods. It is easy to add organic black pepper to dishes of all cuisines, soups, stews, gravies, sauces, sandwiches, salads, egg dishes, meats, rubs and marinades. It is often part of blended spice mixes. You can avail of all the benefits of organic black pepper when you add it to foods or sprinkle it on your salads and soups. In fact, organic black pepper is best had fresh instead of cooked when you want to get the most out of it.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article should not be considered as a substitute for a physician's advice. Please consult with your health care professional before buying this product.
Recommended article: Organic black pepper