When you make spaghetti sauce (or buy a jar or can of sauce) you may wonder how you can elevate the taste and flavor. Often a basic tomato or white sauce is fairly bland. Simply adding some organic spices or herbs will zing it up and add an extra dimension to your sauce.
Let’s face it – spaghetti, or any other pasta, is an easy to put together last-minute meal when you are rushed for time. Whether you use dry pasta that just needs to be boiled or fresh pasta that can be dunked straight into sauce, you have a virtually instant main dish meal. In fact, there are now many recipes for a one-pot pasta dish, so you save washing up as well. When you add some protein and serve with a salad, you have taken care of the nutritional values of the meal.
Spaghetti with Tomato Sauce
Your basic spaghetti with tomato sauce is a classic dish. You can use canned or fresh tomatoes or a jar of supermarket spaghetti sauce. You can use a variety of tomatoes: Roma, cherry, or other red tomatoes that are in season.
All kinds of tomatoes can be used to make the tomato sauce. It is your choice to add or omit onions to the sauce, leave it chunky or blend it to make it smooth. Add some tomato paste or tomato puree for a rich color and quicker cooking. After making the sauce, taste and adjust seasoning and the salt and sweet components to your taste.
Here are the best organic spices and herbs you can add to your tomato-based spaghetti sauce:
- Garlic – while chopped fresh garlic is great, you can throw in some garlic powder or garlic granules, if you have them in your pantry.
- Onion – in a hurry and don’t want to go through the process of cutting onions? Use a couple of spoons of onion powder or onion granules.
- Bay leaves – when you are cooking the sauce, add one or two bay leaves in the beginning of the cooking and discard the bay leaf before using the sauce. You will get an amazing flavor explosion.
- Himalayan pink salt – instead of using normal cooking salt, change things around and use Himalayan pink salt for health and color.
- Cinnamon – add a cinnamon stick when cooking the sauce. It adds a depth of flavor and sweetness to the sauce, changing it from bland to exciting. Or you can use a pinch of cinnamon powder instead.
- Red chilli pepper flakes or powder or paprika – unless you are cooking for kids, you can spice up your sauce by adding some red chilli pepper flakes or powder to amp up the spice quotient. Add the desired quantity that you want.
For more flavor you can also add some herbs for a more authentic Italian taste. Use a blend of mixed Italian herbs. Or you can add your favorite combination of one or more herbs such as oregano, thyme, marjoram, parsley, basil. Just use dried herbs in the beginning of the cook or add fresh herbs towards the end, to get the most flavors.
Spaghetti with White Sauce or Béchamel
White sauce is invariably bland, containing butter or olive oil, plain flour and milk, seasoned with salt. And when you pair it with spaghetti, which is also bland, it really does not do anything for your taste buds. One food that you can add to your white sauce is cheese. Grated cheese can either be mixed into the hot sauce so that it melts. Or the spaghetti in white sauce can be topped with grated cheese.
You can also add spices and herbs to spice up your spice.
- Cracked black pepper – this will not discolor the sauce and also add the spice element to the sauce.
- Red pepper chilli flakes – for a contrasting color and heat to the sauce, mix in some red chilli flakes just before dishing out the spaghetti.
- Garlic – before heating the plain flour, chop some garlic and add to the butter or oil. This will add a garlicky flavor to the sauce. Or you can use dry garlic granules or garlic powder to the sauce.
- Onion granules – dry onion granules add taste and texture to the sauce.
- Chives – add color and flavor to the sauce.
- Nutmeg – grate a bit of nutmeg and add to the sauce for spice.
For extra taste and flavor mix in some butter or cream. And add fresh or dried herbs that you want – basil, oregano, marjoram, thyme, and parsley will add some green to the sauce.
Jazz up your spaghetti with tomato or white sauce that has the best organic spices and herbs for their nutritional benefits and taste